July 17, 2023
Taking care of your skin is important, as it is the largest organ in your body. Good skincare habits can help prevent or delay the signs of aging, and protect it from the outside world. However, it can be overwhelming to know what products to use, how often, and what to expect. In this article, we will discuss what your skincare routine should include, how to know if it's working, and the benefits of having a consistent regimen.
What Your Skincare Routine Should Include
The most important part of a skincare routine in addition to the products you use is consistency. It’s essential to note that skincare is not a one-size-fits-all approach. Factors such as skin type, age, lifestyle, and climate can all affect what your routine should look like. However, there are basic steps that everyone should follow to maintain healthy skin.
- Morning skincare routines typically include a cleanser, toner, moisturizer, and sunscreen. Cleansing your face removes dirt and oil, which helps prevent breakouts.
- Toner helps remove any remaining dirt and oil, and can also help restore the skin’s pH level.
- Moisturizer is crucial to keep your skin hydrated, especially if you have dry skin. Sunscreen is necessary to protect your skin from the harmful effects of UV rays.
- Night cream is to repair and regenerate your skin while you sleep.
- Eye creams can help reduce the appearance of dark circles, fine lines, and puffiness.
- Sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 should be considered and can be applied generously in the morning.
How to Know Your Routine Is Working
A good skincare regimen is followed daily. Results are best noticed after 28 days of following your routine because this is how long it takes for new skin cells to form. Around four months after diligently following your routine, you should notice a change in your skin. Your skin will feel smoother, will look and feel hydrated, and you should have a natural, healthy glow. This is an opportunity to reevaluate the products you use. If you don’t think one is working, it should be switched out to see if the results are better.
At Helendale Dermatology and Medical Spa, our team of experts can help you create a personalized skincare plan that suits your needs. Contact us to schedule an appointment and start your journey towards beautiful, healthy skin. We’re located at 500 Helendale Road in Rochester, NY and proudly serve customers throughout the Western NY region. If you have any questions or would like to get started, call us directly at 585-266-5420 or send an email through our secure contact form.